Reports to (Job Title):
Chief Information Officer
The IT Portfolio Manager role is responsible for building a world-class IT Project Management capability. They will then be responsible for leading, overseeing and ensuring the successful delivery and management of the IT Portfolio of work. This will involve working closely with the Enterprise Architect to build a logically phased portfolio while also partnering with the business to ensure all demand is accurately captured. The role will ensure that the portfolio is delivered to scope, quality, and within time and cost constraints.
- Build a world-class IT project management capability, capable of delivering multiple concurrent projects of varying complexity.
- Implement appropriate and proportionate governance including a gated IT Project delivery methodology and a business demand capture process.
- Develop a strong working relationship with senior members of the business and accurately capturing demand while managing expectations for timely delivery.
- Manage the IT Portfolio making prioritisations calls as required to ensure that scope, quality, cost and timely delivery are maintained.
- Ensure that the IT Portfolio has the appropriate resources to allow projects to deliver.
- Review project proposals or plans to determine a time frame, funding limitations, procedures for accomplishing projects, staffing requirements and the assignment of available departmental resources to various project phases.
- Identify and monitor portfolio deliverables, milestones, and required activities and tasks.
- Provide leadership and motivation to project team members throughout the project life cycle and confer with project staff to outline a work plan.
- Act as a coach to other project managers and others who need assistance and advice regarding project management practices.
- Analyse project proposals to determine a time frame, funding limitations and appropriate processes for accomplishing projects.
- Review/approve the work plan of an external service provider or consultancy contracted to execute the project.
- Ensure appropriate risk assessment and mitigation is in place across the portfolio.
- Monitor project activities, ensuring the currency, quality and integrity of information, while providing consistency in content and “look and feel” across the organization.
- Assign duties and responsibilities to project personnel and define the scope of their authority.
- Establish standards and procedures for project reporting and documentation.
- Benchmark project management performance continuously to identify the potential for improvements and increase capability in project and portfolio management.
Experience / Professional requirements
- Distinctive blend of business, IT, financial and communication skills. This blend is vital because this is a highly visible position with substantial impact.
- Good understanding of current and emerging technologies, and of how other enterprises are using them to drive digital business.
- Knowledge of project management methodology and experience or familiarity with major, defined program management approaches (for example, that of the Project Management Institute or PRINCE2 and agile approaches).
- Significant knowledge of project planning/scheduling tools (for example, Microsoft Project and Primavera), with a solid track record of practical application.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills; expertise in setting and managing customer expectations.
- Effective influencing and negotiating skills in an environment in which this role may not directly control resources.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of business needs, with the ability to establish and maintain a high level of customer trust and confidence.
- Ability to support a tactical resource plan by mapping future demand to forecast project completions in the project portfolio.
- Background in complex, highly regulated industries is preferred.
- Background of working in international teams is preferred.
- Proficient in either French or Italian as a second language is preferred.
- Professional certification in agile methodologies is preferred.