Reports to (Job Title):
Design Authority Manager, UK Operations
This role will assume prime responsibility for delivering Design Authority capabilities in the area of Safety Case for the LFR. As part of the Design Authority function, you will be responsible for the management of the skills and knowledge, processes and documentation relating to safety case development and management. Leading a team of personnel you will work with the wider DA and engineering teams with oversight of design development to ensure a design and safety case are produced as appropriate for deployment in the UK. You will guide the development and management of the safety case for the LFR to support GDA and subsequent development for detailed design and site license for the First Commercial Unit (FCU).You will work closely with newcleo colleagues and key stakeholders supporting and guiding our expert designers and engineers at our R&D centre in Turin to ensure the design is safe, affordable, consentable and meets all UK regulatory requirements
- Provide technical advice and guidance on the needs for a suitable and sufficient safety case to the UK Project Team and the Turin Engineering Team to ensure ensure the design is safe, affordable, consentable and meets all UK regulatory requirements.
- Develop and deliver appropriate capability to meet Design Authority requirements for safety case production and management. This will include a skills and knowledge framework for development of appropriately skilled and experienced personnel, recruitment and establishing support through consultants and contractors as necessary.
- Identify the contract technical requirements re: Nuclear Island and Safety Systems, Structures and Components, working closely with the Project Leads and broader newcleo team.
- Develop the overall safety case structure and plan for the LFR including the key building blocks and approach to be taken (for example in the form of a safety case development manual and safety case development plan).
- Apply best practices in safety case development in line with newcleo processes and procedures, and ensure deliverables are provided to time, cost, quality and without compromise to achieving safety, security and environmental outcomes balanced effectively with a commercially viable project that can help meet UK environmental and security goals for energy.
- Work with the wider DA and engineering teams to prepare a suitable and sufficient safety case in line with key project milestones.
- working closely with the Project Leads to ensure design information and evidence is available and working in a collaborative and iterative way with the design to develop a suitable and fit for purpose safety case.
- Support the GDA Project Manager, providing the necessary deliverables and managing the identification and resolution of regulatory issues quickly and effectively.
Experience / Professional requirements
- Demonstrated technical knowledge and experience providing Design Authority capability as an Intelligent Customer or equivalent type of role.
- Demonstrated technical knowledge and experience in the structuring, production and verification of safety cases and the development of safety case arrangements.
- Experience in the application of design principles in Nuclear Power. Demonstrating application and success specifically in the UK regulatory environment is preferable, but success internationally with an understanding of UK requirements considered.
- Extensive subject specific knowledge of power plant design, UK codes, standards, regulations and operational requirements.
- Previous experience in the delivery of GDA in the UK desirable.
- High levels of motivation and commitment; Attention to detail.
- Builds strong collaborative relationships with colleagues whist providing strong constructive challenge.
- Degree in a relevant engineering or science subject or demonstrated relevant equivalent experience.