Reports to (Job Title):
Design Authority Manager, UK Operations
This role will assume prime responsibility for delivering Design Authority capabilities in the areas of Materials and Structural Integrity, Chemistry, safety analysis and Fuel and Core design for the LFR. As part of the Design Authority function, you will be responsible for the management of the skills and knowledge, processes and documentation relating to Nuclear Technology areas. Leading a team of personnel you will work with the project delivery team to provide specification of requirements, oversight of design development and delivery and acceptance of the design as appropriate for deployment in the UK. You will guide the development and management of the safety case and topic lead strategies for your designated area to support GDA and subsequent development for detailed design and site license for the First Commercial Unit (FCU).You will work closely with newcleo colleagues and key stakeholders supporting and guiding our expert designers and engineers at our R&D centre in Turin to ensure the design is safe, affordable, consentable and meets all UK regulatory requirements
- Provide technical advice and guidance in the areas of Materials and Structural Integrity, Chemistry, safety analysis and Fuel and Core design to the UK Project Team and the Turin Engineering Team to ensure ensure the design is safe, affordable, consentable and meets all UK regulatory requirements.
- Develop and deliver appropriate capability to meet Design Authority requirements in the areas of Materials and Structural Integrity, Chemistry, safety analysis and Fuel and Core design. This will include a skills and knowledge framework for development of appropriately skilled and experienced personnel, recruitment and establishing support through consultants and contractors as necessary.
- Support the preparation of an integrated plan for the engineering, procurement, construction and commissioning of the UK projects, ensuring interfaces and key milestones are clearly identified and defined, work is broken down into unique work packages and resources are clearly identified.
- Identify the contract technical requirements re: Materials and Structural Integrity, Chemistry, safety analysis and Fuel and Core design, working closely with the Project Leads and broader newcleo team.
- Develop the safety case for area of responsibility, working closely with the Project Leads to ensure design information and evidence is available and working in a collaborative and iterative way with the design to develop a suitable and fit for purpose safety case.
- Support the GDA Project Manager as overall Topic Lead for Science and Analysis areas, providing the necessary deliverables and managing the identification and resolution of regulatory issues quickly and effectively.
- Apply best practices in safety case development in line with newcleo processes and procedures, and ensure deliverables are provided to time, cost, quality and without compromise to achieving safety, security and environmental outcomes balanced effectively with a commercially viable project that can help meet UK environmental and security goals for energy.
Experience / Professional requirements
- Demonstrated technical knowledge and experience relevant to the areas of Materials and Structural Integrity, Chemistry, safety analysis and Fuel and Core design, providing Design Authority capability as an Intelligent Customer or equivalent type of role.
- Experience in the application of Materials and Structural Integrity, Chemistry, safety analysis and Fuel and Core design principles in Nuclear Power. Demonstrating application and success specifically in the UK regulatory environment is preferable, but success internationally with an understanding of UK requirements considered.
- Experience in the development of requirements specification for nuclear design through the whole lifecycle .
- Extensive subject specific knowledge of power plant design, UK codes, standards, regulations and operational requirements.
- Experience in the structuring, preparation and review of safety cases.
- Previous experience in the delivery of GDA in the UK desirable.
- High levels of motivation and commitment; Attention to detail.
- Builds strong collaborative relationships with colleagues whist providing strong constructive challenge.
- Masters degree in a relevant engineering or science subject.